Our HistoryWritten by Craig English on May 03, 2012
Washington Grove UMC is a former “camp meeting,” a kind of retreat center where folks escaped the city’s summer heat set up their tents in this Montgomery County forest, starting in 1872. In 1910 the church was established. The town of Washington Grove is still called “the town within the forest.” But town residents in the 21st century live in this D.C. suburb year round, in cottages instead of tents, many of them historic.
Our church members come from both the town and the surrounding areas. What has stayed with us is a link to a town with a special heart for the forest, and for God’s Creation; and a long tradition of service to the poor in the community, through regular meal-preparation at the Lord’s Table Soup Kitchen, collections for Gaithersburg Help food pantry and the Montgomery County Coalition to Help the Homeless, and our church/town rebuilding ministry, Grove Relief.